Sunshine Coast Open House is a free event, which provides visitors with the rare opportunity to tour architecturally diverse, well-designed and historic buildings across the region. The second annual Sunshine Coast Open House on Saturday 20 October will feature 30 historic and contemporary buildings from Caloundra to Pomona and beyond.
Sunshine Coast Open House is part of the Open House Worldwide network, and is an initiative of Sunshine Coast Council, Noosa Shire Council and the Australian Institute of Architects Sunshine Coast Committee.
Sunshine Coast Open House Committee
- Adrian Charles Just, Director, Archicology and Regional Chair Australian Institute of Architects (Chair)
- Peter Connell, Cultural Heritage Services Team, Sunshine Coast Council (Deputy Chair)
- Evelyn Murphy, Planning and Environment Department, Sunshine Coast Council (Secretary)
- Tony Holzberger, Principal Architect, Sunshine Coast Council (Building Manager)
- Lindy Atkin, Director, Bark Design Architects
- Eadie Hancock, Community Development, Noosa Council
- Cr Ingrid Jackson, Noosa Council
- Elspeth McEachern, Cultural Heritage Services Team, Sunshine Coast Council
- Liza Neil, Principal Architect, Sunshine Coast Council
- Ann Rainbow, Consultant
- Dr Eva-Marie Seeto, Office of Engagement, USC
- Sharon Stott, Sustainability Team, Sunshine Coast Council
- Roger Todd, Roger Todd Architect
- Paul William-Smith, Sessional Tutor, Faculty of Arts, Business & Law, USC
OPEN HOUSE QUEENSLAND
Since its inception in 2010 the Office of the Queensland Government Architect has actively promoted the Open House concept across the state.
Queensland’s regional centres and their high quality of built environments allow the initiative to support strong tourism, cultural and professional development throughout the state. A regional program involving the cities of Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton, Toowoomba and Maryborough was identified and progressed, with the first regional event – Maryborough Open House – staged on 27 October 2012.
In addition to the 2018 Sunshine Coast Open House, visitors can also enjoy the following Open House events across Queensland:
BRISBANE OPEN HOUSE
The ninth annual Brisbane Open House will be staged on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 October 2018.
BUNDABERG OPEN HOUSE
Bundaberg Open House will be held on Saturday 25 August 2018.
CAIRNS OPEN HOUSE
Cairns Open House will be held on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 October 2018.
GOLD COAST OPEN HOUSE
Gold Coast Open House will be held on Saturday 27 October 2018.
MARYBOROUGH OPEN HOUSE
Maryborough Open House will be held on Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 September 2018.
TOOWOOMBA OPEN HOUSE
Toowoomba Open House is a biennial event and will be staged in May 2019 (date to be confirmed).
OPEN HOUSE WORLDWIDE
The Open House concept was founded in London in 1992 by Victoria Thornton OBE, aiming to create a wider community able to engage with architecture on their own terms and argue for a better quality of built environment.
Open House facilitates opportunities for a city’s inhabitants to directly experience how well-designed cities can improve their lives, by opening examples of architectural excellence to the public. These experiences stimulate dialogue about architecture and learning, which empowers people to advocate for a well-designed built environment.
The concept resonated with cities internationally and the organic growth of independent Open House cities led to the creation of the Open House Worldwide Family of affiliated cities in 2010, which has grown to more than 30 cities across five continents.