Sunshine Coast Open House is a free community event which offers rare behind-the-scenes access to the Sunshine Coast’s best buildings ranging from private homes, corporate buildings, heritage treasures and sustainable spaces. Enjoy meeting the people who design, build and preserve these buildings and celebrate the region’s unique history, architecture and built form. The Sunshine Coast Open House Committee is excited to be hosting the fourth annual Open House Weekend in 2021. The program will showcase historic, contemporary and sustainable buildings from Caloundra to the Hinterland and Pomona.
Sunshine Coast Open House is part of the Open House Worldwide network, founded by Open House London more than 25 years ago and now in 40+ cities around the world.
Sunshine Coast Open House Committee
- Lindy Atkin, Director, Bark Design Architects (Chair)
- Paul William Smith, Community Representative (Sponsorship)
- Evelyn Murphy, Urban Designer, Sunshine Coast Council (Secretary)
- Tony Holzberger, Principal Architect, Sunshine Coast Council (Building Manager)
- Ayeh Azarbashi, Architect
- Hossein Farahani, Architect
- Nastaran Hadidi, Architect
- Suzannah Harvey, Associate, Mode
- Erin Johnston, Design and Placemaking Branch, Sunshine Coast Council
- Laurie Jones, Heritage Architect
- Elspeth McEachern, Cultural Heritage Services, Sunshine Coast Council
- Patrick Ozmin, Director, Patrick Ozmin Architect
- Ann Rainbow, Consultant
- Dr Eva-Marie Seeto, Office of Engagement, USC
- Dan Sparks, Director, Sparks Architects
- Sharon Stott, Sustainability Engagement, Sunshine Coast Council
- Roger Todd, Roger Todd Architect
OPEN HOUSE QUEENSLAND
Since its inception in 2010 the Office of the Queensland Government Architect has actively promoted the Open House concept across the state.
Queensland’s regional centres and their high quality of built environments allow the initiative to support strong tourism, cultural and professional development throughout the state. A regional program involving the cities of Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton, Toowoomba and Maryborough was identified and progressed, with the first regional event – Maryborough Open House – staged on 27 October 2012.
In addition to Sunshine Coast Open House, visitors can also enjoy the following Open House events across Queensland:
BRISBANE OPEN HOUSE
Brisbane Open House will be staged on Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 July 2021.
BUNDABERG OPEN HOUSE
For further information visit:
GOLD COAST OPEN HOUSE
Gold Coast Open House will be held on Saturday17 and Sunday 18 October 2020.
MARYBOROUGH OPEN HOUSE
Maryborough Open House (virtual) will be held from Saturday 26 September 2020.
OPEN HOUSE WORLDWIDE
The Open House concept was founded in London in 1992 by Victoria Thornton OBE, aiming to create a wider community able to engage with architecture on their own terms and argue for a better quality of built environment.
Open House facilitates opportunities for a city’s inhabitants to directly experience how well-designed cities can improve their lives, by opening examples of architectural excellence to the public. These experiences stimulate dialogue about architecture and learning, which empowers people to advocate for a well-designed built environment.
The concept resonated with cities internationally and the organic growth of independent Open House cities led to the creation of the Open House Worldwide Family of affiliated cities in 2010, which has grown to about 40 cities across five continents.